Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Why wait til the holidays? Indulge! Serve warm with ice cream or chilled with whipped cream. This is a little something Bird created. :) NOTE: We love Sam's idea of a cream cheese layer in there also, Suggest 8 oz cream cheese whipped with 2 tbsp sugar, and put on before the pumpkin layer. :)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) box gingerbread cake mix (Betty Crocker)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) canned pumpkin
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- whipped cream (or ice cream if serving warm)
- Preaheat oven to 350°F Spray a 11x7" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all crumble ingredients, stirring and tossing gently using a spatula (use your fingers to make loose crumbs). Sprinkle a little more than half of it evenly over casserole dish and press down gently (the bottom should be totally covered with crumble.
- In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients and using a wire wisk, beat until smooth. Pour evenly over bottom crumble. Crumble remaining crumble loosely over top of filling.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool at least 40-45 minutes before serving or refrigerating to chill. Cut into squares and serve with whipped or ice cream. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Although I usually like to try new recipes as given, this time I took the tips from Sam AND Bird & included a layer of cream cheese! I also toasted the pecans ~ What can I say but that I like my nuts toasted! We really enjoyed the flavor combo of the ginber, pumpkin & cream cheese! Not the healthiest thing in the world to eat, but definitely one of the most enjoyable! Thanks for a really great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe tag]
Mmmmm... very interesting! I used regular cooked pumpkin like we discussed rather than canned. The filling was a little watery for my liking, probably due to that. Next time I'll try using a little less pumpkin or condensed milk. The pumpkin flavour in this cake was great though! I'm now dreaming of it with a cream cheese addition to the filling.