Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
I wanted 100% which is light and fluffy so I started tinkering away and this is the recipe I got. I really love it and it's easy-peasy, lemon-sqeasy as my kids would say. As a result, I've retired my 50-50 bread. Hopefully s
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 ml salt
- 2 tablespoons gluten
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- Microwave buttermilk for 30secs to a minute so it's lukewarm.
- Add all ingredients to breadmachine in the order listed.
- Select 1.5 lbs loaf
- NOTE: Due to difference in moisture content of flour you may want to watch bread mixture to ensure the right consistency. If the mixture is too dry add one tablespoon of buttermilk and a time & if it's too wet add a tablespoon of flour at a time. Make sure the buttermilk or flour is completely incorporated before adjusting again.
I was looking for a low sugar whole wheat bread and this was GREAT! This is an excellent sandwich bread as it has a very mild taste...it will go great with PB&J or deli meats. I used skim milk with 1t vinegar and made the dough in my bread machine and then baked in 2 stoneware loaf pans @ 375 for about 25-30 minutes until the tops were a deep tan color.
At last! I feel like singing! I too have been looking for a simple dependable 100%ww at is usable for sandwiches and toast! I made exactly as printed except there the smallest loaf size on my machine is 2.0 - it still worked well an is my new standard!
Amazing! For the first time, a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread that doesn't come out like a brick! Quite the opposite actually! My wife is having a piece and going crazy about it right now. More recipes like this please!