Recipe by Kansas A
I haven't bought a loaf of store bought bread for almost a year and have experimented with quite a few recipes. I made this recipe up, after having a few doorstops, and now pretty much use this recipe all the time. It comes out very light, and tastes like white bread!
- 6 cups warm water
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 12 cups whole wheat flour, DIVIDED
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bread enhancer (Dough Enhancer) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups gluten flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the first four ingredients into Bosch bread mixer along with FIVE cups of flour.
- Mix briefly.
- Let sit for 20 minutes to proof yeast. (I know it sounds weird to proof instant yeast but this works).
- After 20 minutes the mixture should be quite high, if not, throw out and start again with new yeast.
- Then add the next three ingredients with 7 cups of flour.
- You might use more or less flour but mix in one cup at a time until dough is sticky but not dry.
- I add the gluten flour because, as far as I know, whole wheat flour has very little gluten and bread just won't rise well without it -- believe me I've tried and ended up with doorstops, reeeeeealy heavy doorstops!
- After adding the last of the flour turn your Bosch down to 1 and knead for 7 minutes (I picked 7 just because it's a lucky number). I'm sorta fanatical about the size of my bread so I weigh my dough, roughly 750 grams for whole wheat bread.
- I get 5 full size loaves and 1 smaller one with this recipe.
- I bake it on convection bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees in greased pans. It doesn't taste like whole wheat and has a very light texture.