They use different greens in Africa but collard greens come the closest. Adapted from Recipes from countries around the world.
- Ready In:
- 1 bunch collard greens, washed
- 1 cup water
- 1 large tomatoes, cored, chopped
- 5 green onions, sliced (green and white part)
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (natural is best)
- Finely shred the greens, discarding tough stems.
- Place in a saucepan with the water.
- Bring to boil and cook, stirring occasionally, just until greens are crunchy-tender (don't overcook).
- Drain greens, reserving liquid.
- Return greens to medium heat; add tomato and onions.
- Heat through, stirring frequently.
- Thin peanut butter with 3/4 cup of the reserved cooking liquid, then add to vegetables.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until greens have a creamy consistency, adding more reserved liquid if mixture seems too thick.
- Taste; add salt if needed.
- Serves 4.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I wanted to love this as I love collard greens and peanut butter but it just didn't do it for us. Served it for family dinner night and everyone at one serving but I think that was to be polite. Sorry! Maybe it was because I served it to a table full of Southerners who like their pork fat with greens!