Yummy Spiced Plum Jelly
photo by Nicker12
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
9 Half pints
- Wash plums and put in large pot. (I used red plums).
- Add 1/2 cup of water per pound of plums, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and cardamom pods that have been cracked open.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Once boiling reduce heat to a simmer and mash plums with a potato masher. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring and smooshing plums occasionally.
- Put a colander or sieve over a large bowl. Line the colander with a triple layer of cheese cloth or with a J cloth (I use two J cloths crisscrossed to cover all the holes in the colander).
- Pour the plum mixture into the lines colander and let drain for about 2 hours until it stops dripping. Don’t squish or else you will get cloudy jelly.
- Measure out 4 cups of plum juice, sugar, and vanilla into a large stainless steel pot. DO NOT double the recipe because it can affect setting of the jelly.
- Stirring constantly, over high heat, bring the mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
- Add the pectin and return to a boil then boil for one full minute while stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and skim off foam. (I find it easiest to skim foam using a cold metal spoon).
- Use a ladle to pour jelly in to hot clean jars. (Jars must be hot so the temperature of the jelly isn’t a shock to the jars causing them to break). Be sure to leave 1/4 inch of space.
- Wipe the rims of the jars, place metal snap lids on top and thread metal rings in place. Do not over tighten the metal rings or air won’t be able to escape.
- Place jars in water bath canner making sure they're completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!