Watermelon Cookies - the Easy Method
photo by CookieMonster2323
- Ready In:
- 2 (18 ounce) packages refrigerated sugar cookie dough, divided
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- green food coloring
- red food coloring
- mini chocolate chip
- Remove cookie dough from wrappers and place in separate bowls and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add 1/4 C flour and green food coloring to 1 bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended and evenly colored.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Add remaining 1/4 C flour and red food coloring to other bowl and mix at medium speed until well blended and evenly colored.
- Roll red dough into 9-inch log, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove green dough from plastic wrap, then roll between 2 sheets of wax paper into 9x8-inch rectangle.
- Remove red dough from plastic wrap and place in center of green dough rectangle.
- Wrap green dough around red log and press seams together, rolling to smooth out log and seams.
- Wrap log in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove log from platic wrap and cut into 3/8-inch thick slices.
- Cut each slice in half and place on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart, reshaping as necessary.
- Press in mini chocolate chips to make watermelon seeds.
- Bake 8-11 minutes or until set.
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very cute! I perhaps made my green layer a little too thick this first time, but these still turned out really adorable! They were actually easy to assemble too. In order to mix mine properly, I actually had to use almost the whole little bottle for each of the food coloring, but the colors turned out really nice and they got more crisp as they continued to set further on the cooling racks. They were well-enjoyed at my family's picnic. Thank you!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Current (9/07) review criteria: 5: WOW! This is something with which to impress the guest! 4: We really liked this and will make it again. Instructions were easy to follow. 3: Good basic recipe but needs something to make it a 4 for us and/or there is a problem with instructions. 2: We didn't like the flavor/taste/texture and/or there is a major problem with the instructions. 1: Inedible for us.