Vortbrod - Swedish Christmas Beer Bread
- Ready In:
- 1 7⁄8 ounces fresh yeast
- 1 1⁄3 cups porter
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 7⁄8 ounces butter
- 1⁄4 cup rapeseed oil
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground bitter orange peel
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 2⁄3 cups flour (rye and wheat)
- 1 1⁄3 cups raisins
- Dissolve the yeast in a big bowl with porter, beer, oil and molasses.
- Melt the butter with the spices and salt. Let it cool a little (it shouldn't feel hot when you put your finger in it) before adding to the yeast mixture.
- Mix in the raisins and flour a little at the time and work the dough slowly (by hand or y machine) until it's soft and elastic.
- Let the dough rise in the bowl to twice its size under a cloth.
- Turn on the oven to 200 C / 400 F / Gas mark 6.
- Make 2 loaves of bread, put them in an oven pan and let rise under a cloth for 1 hour.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, but lower the temperature to 150 C / 300 F / Gas mark 2 after 15 minutes.
- Let the loaves cool on a wire tray under a clean cloth.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!