Verdolagas Con Costillitas De Puerco-Pork and Purslane Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 guajillo chilies, seeded, deveined and stemmed or 4 california chiles and 2 guajillo chilies, prepared the same way
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar (or other mild white vinegar)
- 1 lb meaty pork neck bones
- 1 1⁄2 lbs country spareribs, cut into large chunks
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, halved
- salt, to taste
- 8 -10 ounces purslane, washed well, drained, and cut into 5 inch lengths
- In a skillet heat oil over medium;when hot add chiles and saute quickly,removing after thirty seconds,turning the chiles so they toast evenly.Add to a bowl with hot water and vinegar,cover and soak 1 hour.
- Meanwhile,place all remaining ingredients,except purslane into a pot,cover with about 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.Cover and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Place chiles and 1 cup of the water they were soaked in into a blender and puree until smooth.Add to the soup.(original recipe says this will make 1 1/2 cups of chile paste and to only use 1 cup of it)Cover and continue simmering about 10 minutes.
- Uncover and bring soup back to a boil before adding the purslane.Cover and simmer 10 more minutes.Serve with hot corn or flour tortillas.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!