Veggie-Stuffed Macaroni and Cheese
photo by cipherbabe
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
1 1/2 cup servings
- 8 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon butter (melted)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 3⁄4 cups nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup 1% fat cottage cheese (no added sodium)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes in tomato puree (canned)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Add broccoli the last 5 minutes to parboil. Drain and set aside.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, butter, and paprika in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in a 4- to 5-quart nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat until steaming.
- Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk and the flour in a small bowl until smooth. Add to the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens and simmers, 3 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the Cheddar to the white sauce and stir until the cheese is melted. Stir in the cottage cheese, Parmesan, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir the pasta into the cheese sauce.
- Spread half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish. Place the broccoli florets evenly on top, then the diced tomatoes. Spread the remaining pasta mixture over the tomatoes and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake until bubbly and golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!