Vegetarian Chik'n and Dumplings
photo by danakscully64
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups Quorn tenders
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or about 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped (or about 1/2 tsp dried)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup soy coffee creamer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- Thaw Chik'n. Combine flour with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Heat oil/butter over med-high heat until hot, not smoking. Dip Chik'n in flour and shake off excess (since there will be little moisture, it may not stick very well. If you have a lot of extra flour, add a little of it to the pan).
- Brown Chik'n on all sides (don't overcook, I only cooked them maybe 2-3 minutes).
- Add celery and onion, cook 2 minutes. Add bay leaf, thyme, parsley, and stock. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in creamer and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Prepare dumplings. Mix ingredients together to form a thick batter. Drop a TBL at a time into the stew. Cover tightly and cook 20 extra minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!