Vegetable Surprise (Stir Fry)
I think this came from the Yan Can Cookbook - an interesting twist on the typical vegetable stir fry.
- Ready In:
Sauce (you may want to double this)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup stock
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch (whisked with a little liquid to make a paste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup shredded bamboo shoot
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup shredded celery
- 1⁄2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts
- 2 scallions, shredded
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup stock
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 small eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Combine sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook till thickened. Keep warm.
- Heat skillet or wok with 1 1/2 T oil over high heat.
- Add garlic and stir for 10 seconds.
- Add carrot, bamboo shoots and mushrooms and stir for 1 minute.
- Add remaining vegetables and continue stirring for another minute.
- Add sugar, sesame oil, salt and stock. Cover and cook 1 minute.
- Add cornstarch and stir to thicken.
- Mound on a platter.
- Combine eggs, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet with 1 t oil, pour eggs in pan and make a thin omelet.
- To serve, lay omelet over vegetables on platter and cover with sauce.
- Cut into wedges like a pie.
- I served this over cooked rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Seemed a little putzy for a weekday meal, so next time, weekend! Sauce is yummy (I doubled ingred. but only used 1/2 tsp Louisiana hot sauce for the Tabasco). Used baby corn for the zucchini and sesame seeds for the oil. My omelette ended up being scrambled :( I would consider drizzling the eggs into the vegetables to cook also. To make enough for a family, I would think you would have to double it (maybe not that much but 1 1/2 x's.)Reply
This was a nifty idea for an entree, and with a couple of changes I think I'll really like it a lot. The vegetables were too overcooked for my taste, but I think it's because they were shredded. Next time I make this, I'll probably just chop the vegetables so they get as soft. I'd probably add less liquid at the end of the vegetables' cook time; they were a bit soupy. The sauce was nice and spicy, and I liked the thin omelette on top of the veggies. Thanks for posting!Reply
see 1 more