Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese
photo by Izy Hossack
- Ready In:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 14 ounces dried macaroni noodles
- Heat 4 tbsp of the olive oil in a large pot over a medium-low heat. Add the onion to the pot and saute until it starts to brown slightly – about 10 minutes. Add the potato, cashews, water, smoked paprika, garlic granules, nutritional yeast, soy sauce/miso, and mustard to the pot.
- Bring to the boil and turn down to simmer – leave for 15 minutes so that the potatoes and cashews can soften.
- Pour the contents of the pot into the jug of a high-speed blender along with the apple cider vinegar and blitz until completely smooth, adding more water if needed to get the right sauce texture. Taste and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of well-salted boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and return the pasta to the pot. Pour the sauce in and stir together – taste again and add more salt and pepper if needed. Tip into an oven-proof serving dish.
- Preheat your oven grill to the highest setting.
- Toss the breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the pasta. Place the pasta under the grill in the oven and let it crisp up the breadcrumbs – this will only take a couple of minutes so watch it carefully.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!