Veal Piccata With Crisp Fried Garlic
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1 lb veal scallopini, pounded thin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- olive oil
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, sliced very thin
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed well drained (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat oven to the lowest temperature it can be set at about 170 degrees.
- Season veal with salt and pepper to taste and dredge in flour.
- Over medium high heat in a heavy large pan heat enough olive oil to cover bottom of pan till hot. Add sliced garlic and fry till tan in color, remove garlic slices and set a side. Remove oil leaving just enough to fry slices of veal. Adding as you fry additional slices if needed.
- Brown seasoned veal in the garlic oil medium high heat about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove veal and place in a warm oven.
- Saute the lemon slices browning one side flip then add shallots adding oil if needed.
- Top the veal with the browned lemon slices.
- De-glaze pan with wine and chicken broth scraping pan to get all the browned bits of yumminess.
- You can make a slurry of 1 teaspoon flour and a bit of the broth add to the wine sauce for a thicker result. Or whisk 1 tablespoon butter into the wine sauce for a creamy richer results.
- Reduce to half then add capers and half the parsley.
- Plate the veal and lemon, pour the wine sauce over veal, top with remaining parsley and all the fried garlic.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was sooo tasty! I cooked it almost exactly the way you have it in the directions only I didn't brown the lemons. The sweetness of the veal with the rich and tart lemon sauce and the toasty sweet fried garlic were a perfect 10 combination. This will be made again and again in my home. Thank you so much for posting!