Vanilla Damson/Plum Cake
- Ready In:
1 10 inch cake
- 2 eggs
- 50 g demerara sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 150 g prepared vanilla pudding (I used soy vanilla pudding)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175 g flour
- 50 g potato starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 500 g damsons (1 lb) or 500 g plums, cleaned and quartered (1 lb)
- 50 g biscuits, crushed (e.g. tea biscuits, sugar cookies or try amarettini)
- Combine eggs, sugars and salt in a big bowl. With your electric mixer cream this for 8 minutes. Do not skip this step, it is important to cream for at least 8 minutes!
- Stir in oil, pudding and vanilla extract.
- In a second bowl combine flour, starch and baking powder. Fold into the wet ingredients.
- Pour dough into a greased 10 inch spring-form pan. This will look a little skimpy, but the dough will double during baking.
- Arrange the quartered damsons on top of the dough in concentric circles. Sprinkle with the crushed cookies.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at 160°C/320°F on the second lowest rack for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice-cream. :).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!