Ultimate Basic Birthday Yellow Cake (3 - Layer)
Originally from the post of BettyR at cheftalk.com (FINALLY!!!!!! That perfect homemade yellow cake). I posted here for safe keeping and checking on nutritional values. This recipe makes a 3-layer cake (9x1 1/2 inch pans). I also scaled down the recipe for a cake using only 1 egg.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (do not sift the flour)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut wax paper to fit the bottom of (3) 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans. Spray the pans with cooking spray, place the wax paper in the pans and spray the paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well.
- Measure the 1-1/4 cups of milk in a 2 cup measuring cup then add enough vegetable oil to bring the liquid up to 1-1/3 cups. (I did the math and figured out it is 1-1/4 cups milk + 4 teaspoons vegetable oil).
- Add the milk/vegetable oil mixture, butter and vanilla to the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs and continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
- Cool cakes on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Frost as desired.