Turkish Style Braised Eggplant
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled cored and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- thick yogurt, for serving
- lemon wedge, for serving
- Trim both ends off the eggplant, then use a vegetable peeler to peel alternating strips of the skin; dice eggplant into 1 inch cubes and toss with the salt in a colander for 30 minutes up to 3 hours.
- Rinse the eggplant well and gently squeeze out as much liquid as possible leaving cubes whole.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil, over medium high heat in a large skillet; add eggplant and brown slightly, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Remove eggplant with tongs and set aside, to leave as much oil as possible in the pan.
- Add remaining oil to pan along with the onions and pine nuts; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and pine nuts are lightly browned, about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Return eggplant to skillet with the tomato, raisins, sugar, cinnamon, cumin, and pepper; mix well, turn heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring once or twice, until the liquid has thickened a bit, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool to room temperature, uncovered, about 45 minutes; stir in the dill and parsley, adjust seasonings and serve with yogurt and lemon wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span> </span></p> <p>We may live without poetry, music and art;</p> <p> </p> <p>We may live without conscience and live without heart;</p> <p>We may live without friends; we may live without books,</p> <p>But civilized man cannot live without cooks.</p> <p> </p> <p>He may live without books -- what is knowledge but grieving?</p> <p>He may live without hope-- what is hope but deceiving?</p> <p>He may live without love -- what is passion but pining?</p> <p>But where is the man that can live without dining?</p> <p>-- Owen Meredith</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I'm an all-American original, having lived in Hawaii, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Miami. I also served 7 years in the US Army. My husband is from Bogota, Colombia and has also lived in the former Soviet Union. But now we are both in NY.</p> <p> </p> <p>Tomasi enjoyes a bath!</p> <p><br /><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view&current=tomas.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/tomas.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br />Some of my recipes:</p> <p> <object width=480 height=360 data=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw type=application/x-shockwave-flash> <param name=data value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=src value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=wmode value=transparent /> </object> <a href=http://photobucket.com/slideshows target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif alt=/ /></a><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view?t=12cdcf0a.pbw target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif alt=/ /></a> <br /> <br /> <br />I also have the genealogy bug! I've been tracing my roots for at least 10 years. One branch came to America just after the Mayflower in the early 1600s. Others came in the early 1700s, late 1890s. So, my American roots run pretty deep and I am deeply patriotic. Just wish someone had thought to same me some land!</p>