Turkey and Thyme Meatballs With Quinoa
photo by everg311
- Ready In:
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 cup low sodium broth
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 fresh garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 white onion
- 1⁄2 carrot
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons macadamia nut oil
- 3 tablespoons oven roasted flavored sliced almonds (almond accents)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Cook quinoa to directions on packaging, except I cook quinoa in chicken broth (vegetable, chicken, beef broth are all fine) Broth adds much more flavor. Once it is cooked you will only need 1 cup for the recipe.
- While quinoa is cooking, can chop the onions. It should yield about 1/4 cup. Chop and crush the fresh garlic. Chop up the thyme. Mince carrot into tiny pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, egg, flour, onion, garlic, carrot, thyme, and quinoa Thoroughly mix it with the ground turkey and combine into bite size meatballs, slightly smaller than a golf ball.
- In a large skillet, heat a thin layer of oil over medium to high heat. Start with about 1/2 tbsp to coat the pan. Add almonds in skillet. When warm, cook 10 meatballs at a time, or whatever fits in the pan without them touching. May sprinkle additional almonds on top of the meatballs. Make sure the almonds cook on the surface of the meatball. Keep an eye on the meatballs, turn them about every 1-2 minutes, they should be ready in about 8 minutes, all sides should be golden brown.
- Add a small amount of salt, to taste. Feel free to add any of your personal favorite seasonings, like italian seasoning. For more flavor, sprinkle onion and/or garlic powder on meatballs while cooking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!