Tunisian Brik (Essential Mediterranean)
photo by Rk M.
- Ready In:
- 2 ounces butter, melted
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 1⁄2 ounces tuna in vegetable oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 small eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F Metl the butter in a small frying pan and cool the onion over low heat until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the onion, tuna, capers, parsley and parmesan in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut the filo pastry sheets in half widthways. Layer four of the half-sheets together, brushing each with melted butter. Keep the remaining pastry covered with a tamp towel.
- Spoon half the tuna mixture onto one end of the buttered pastry, leaving a border. Made a well in the center of the mixture and carefully break an egg into the well, being careful not to break it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer two more sheets of the filo together, brushing with melted butter, and place on top of the tuna and egg. Fold in the pastry sides, then roll into a firm parcel, keeping the egg intact.
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray and brush with melted butter. Repeat with the remaining pastry, filling and egg.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- NOTE: the yolk is still soft after 15 minutes. If you like your eggs firmer, bake for a little longer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm originally from San Diego, California but now retired and living the tranquilo life in Dominical, Costa Rica!