Tuna Melt Pie
A new twist of an old favorite. I found this recipe in the Rachael Ray Magazine 09/2010.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 4 (5 ounce) cans tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they've released and absorbed most of their juices, about 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tuna and mayo, breaking up the tuna. Stir in the onion-mushroom mixture, then stir in two-thirds of the cheese.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, flour and butter; stir in the tuna mixture. Transfer to a 10" deep-dish pie pan and bake until browned, about 35 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and broil until the cheese has melted.
- *One thing I would add is a thinly sliced layer of tomatoes on top, then top that with the remaining cheddar cheese. It just doesn't seem like a tuna melt without the tomatoes!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation