Traditional Costa Rican Bean Soup
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 cups dried black beans (substitute with red beans or pinto beans)
- 6 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup lard or 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, diced
- salt and pepper
- Rinse beans well.
- Soak beans in water in a saucepan for 2 hours.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until beans are soft about 1 ½ hours. Remove from heat.
- Puree beans with their liquid, onions, bell peepers, oregano, cilantro, celery, garlic, and cilantro in a blender.
- Transfer to a saucepan and heat the soup at medium low temperature.
- Poach eggs in soup.
- Serve hot w/ fried flour or corn tortillas.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great tasting soup, even without the eggs! I made the soup as directed & I did poach an egg for my first bowl, just to see what it was like ~ MOST ENJOYABLE, but since my other half is on a cholesterol-lowering kick, I left the eggs out of the rest! Wouldn't even mind trying it again with some not-so-hot peppers! [Made & reviewed while touring South & Central America on the Zaar World Tour 4]
A very nice soup! The guys at our house really enjoyed the eggs in this tasty soup. Daughter and I skipped the eggs but ended up putting some Recipe#307564 in our second bowl of soup. These two recipes worked quite well together. When daughter moves out, I'm going to make this again with the suggested hot peppers. (-; Made for ZWT4.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Wine%20Labels/nancycropped.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br />http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/207616/Zaar%20Girls.jpg <br /> I've made some of my closest friends because of cooking and food, including Zaar member - NCMysteryshopper - who, I am proud to say, has asked me to do the honor of being her taste-tester for many a new cocktail she has posted. <br /> Here's to food, drink, friends and being merry! <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=220958> <br /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/Swap14.JPG alt= /></a></p>