Tip: No Egg Wash Tip
photo by gailanng
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods, Heilmanns)
- 1 double crust pie crust
- Make your pie, I made an apple pie.
- I had just put on the top crust and was thinking well here goes another wasted egg yolk, (Actually, I don't waste it I feed it to the dog), to egg wash the top.
- I like the glazey look and it helps hold sugar if I should decide to sprinkle some on the top crust.
- So, I'm thinking what else can I put on the top -- looking in refer.
- Hey! mayo it has eggs, oil and vinegar. I remember somewhere that someone had suggested putting vinegar in pie crust (another one for the deep dark areas of my brain, I should clean it out might be more interesting tid bits).
- So the rest of the story is I brushed the top crust with mayo, baked the pie the way I normally do.
- It worked out great :) was easier to use, and no left over yolk.
- Yes I will do this again.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in a small rural town in central California. I am lucky enough to live and work in my community. I am the site coordinator for an after school program where we enroll over 100 students. My motto is there are no bad kids only bad parents. I have one daughter that is now in her second year of college and a husband that is the worse critic when it comes to food. He either likes it or doesn't no in between. I have been at the zaar for over a year now and continue to go back and forth on buying a membership, right now I'm going for buying. Trying to convince myself that it is only $2.00 a month and I could clean up that nonmember cookbook and get it organized so I might be able to find something :)I'm kinda a pack rat when it comes to food, I always have back ups and sometimes back ups for the back ups. My husband always tells everyone if there is a national disaster come to our house shirley will be able to feed an army. So yall are welcome too :)Edited to add i joined 12-31-06 my Christmas prsent to myself!