photo by itsnevrenough
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 5 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium tomatoes or (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- Put the chicken into a large pot with 1/4 c sliced onion, garlic and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until the chicken is no longer pink, about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken, cool, and shred meat. If using bone-in chicken, discard skin and bones.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add remaining onion slices, and fry until transparent.
- If using fresh tomatoes, place them in a pan of boiling water (can use water used to boil chicken) and boil until they split open.
- Place the tomatoes, chipotle peppers (use 3-4 for a little heat, up to the whole can according to your taste), and boullion into a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Pour into a large pan and add the shredded chicken and cooked onions. Heat through.
- To serve, spread a layer of sour cream on a tostada, top with the chicken and shredded lettuce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
It's recipes like this one that make me realize how much I've been missing by not trying more new dishes YEARS AGO! Except for two things, I followed the recipe down the line ~ however, I doubled the garlic & used only 3 chipotle chilies! Still, I think I got a flavor intensity that suited me! Very, very tasty, & yet another direction in which to take chicken breasts! Many thanks for posting this recipe!
Wow, this tastes great! I topped my tostadas with mexican cream, tinga, shredded cabbage, guacamole and queso fresco. While making this, I got a little over zealous and added the whole can of chipoltle peppers and had to add an extra can of diced tomatoes to even out the heat. I sealed up the extra chipotle sauce in a freezer bag and will thaw it out in a few weeks to make this recipe again. (Hope it works!) Thanks for a very tasty recipe!
see 4 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in Dallas, Texas and have an energetic 13 year-old son and a beautiful 11 year-old daughter. I enjoy riding my sport bike, traveling to my home-away-from-home Cozumel, dancing, fishing and camping. <br /><br /><br /><br /><img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg" alt="" /> <br /><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/AMpageSticker.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket" /></p>