Tim Tam Cake
photo by Greggy
- Ready In:
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
Vanilla Swiss Buttercream
- 8 ounces egg whites (About 4-5 large eggs. I recommend using real eggs, avoid carton egg whites)
- 2 cups sugar (granulated, avoid powdered sugar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 cups unsalted butter (room temperature and yes, unsalted makes a difference)
- 1 pinch of pink himalayan sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces water (1/2 cup, 115g)
- 8 1⁄2 ounces sugar (1 1/4 cups, 240g)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon diamond crystal kosher salt (if using table salt, use half as much by volume or use the same weight)
- 1 vanilla pod, reserved from another project (optional)
- 8 ounces heavy cream (1 cup, 225g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups milk chocolate
- 2 cups heavy cream
- crushed shortbread cookie, for layering
For the Vanilla Cake:
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, powdered milk, and salt with a paddle attachment on stand mixer on low.
- Add water, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until combined. Scrape in between mixing.
- Bake at 350F until cake bounces in the middle to touch and toothpick comes out clean.
For the Swiss Buttercream:
- Place sterilized stand-up mixing bowl (just make sure it's super clean and dry) with whites on top of a saucepan with water, barely simmering (a.ka. double boiler).
- Heat to 160 F, constantly stirring. Be sure to watch it and keep stirring or else it'll turn into an omelette.
- Add Cream of Tartar and whip in stand mixer until cool. Place in refrigerator or freezer if necessary, after reaching a medium peak. You can also place the cooked egg whites on an ice bath ahead of time and place it in the refrigerator, then whip it up.
- Place back on whip and gradually add butter, one stick at a time. Make sure the meringue is cold prior to adding it to the mixture or else it will be a soupy mess. The mixture should separate at first (don't be alarmed and freak out). Be patient and keep mixing; it'll come back together. Mix until smooth and well incorporated.
For the Caramel Spread:
- In a saucepan, combine water, sugar, and salt over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer without stirring until syrup is lightly golden. Continue to cook for about 1 minute more until it is a medium golden color. Immediately add cream and turn the heat on low.
- Stir caramel with a heat-resistant spatula until it reaches 225°F (107°C) Stir in vanilla extract and cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container. The sauce thickens as it cools.
For the Ganache:
- Place chocolate in a bowl.
- Place heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave until scalding hot. Avoid overboiling.
- Stir lightly until mixture thickens. Set aside to room temperature, ready for spreading on cake.
For the Assembly:
- Start with a base of vanilla cake. Make a barrier of buttercream with a piping bag. Fill and spread with a thin layer of ganache. Fill a piping bag with caramel and drizzle on top. Sprinkle crushed shortbread cookies on top.
- Place another layer of cake and repeat the process.
- Crumbcoat, chill and final coat your cake. Serve and enjoy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Greggy is a contributor for Genius Kitchen.