The Slim Jim Sandwich My Way
photo by Chef shapeweaver
- Ready In:
- 2 hoagie rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 6 ounces of very thinly sliced brown sugar ham (i used two 3 ounce packages of hillshire deli selects lunch meat)
- 2 slices swiss cheese, cut in half making 4 pieces
- 4 teaspoons thousand island dressing, divided
- 4 dill pickle slices (optional)
- On top halves of toasted buns, spread each with two teaspoons of salad dressing; set aside.
- On a microwave safe plate, separate ham slices and heat through.
- Divide ham into two equal portions on the plate.
- Cover each portion with 2 slices of cheese overlapping each other.
- Heat until cheese is slightly melted.
- On bottom half of each bun, place in this order, 2 lettuce leaves, 2 tomato slices overlapping each other.
- Place cheese covered ham over tomato slices.
- Top with remaining bun. Cut sandwich on the slant (if you really want it to look like the real thing, put two pickle slices, one on each half and stick a toothpick in each pickle).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The Big Boy locations in Michigan that I grew up with had "Slim Jim" sauce, which is white and if you read the ingredients on their bottle, it's identical to their tartar sauce, which also comes in a bottle. I'm certainly partial, but it's much better than Thousand Island dressing. Try tartar sauce on it, unless you order the Slim Jim sauce from Big Boy in Michigan online. Also, fry the ham in a skillet and then put the Swiss on top of it after turning it once. The Big Boy franchises in MI are Elias Brothers.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Even though I haven't been here for a long time, MY recipes aren't up for adoption. :) And don't change any of them either. ;)