The Best Vanilla Buttermilk Cake
photo by Aeonchix
- Ready In:
- 3 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups plus 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 5 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325°F Butter three 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper and butter the paper.
- 2. Combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixer bowl. With the mixer on low speed, blend for 30 seconds. Add the butter and 1 1/4 cup of the buttermilk. Mix on low speed briefly to blend; then raise the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and the remaining 1/3 cup buttermilk until well blended. Pour one-third of the egg mixture into the cake batter at a time, folding it in completely after each addition. There will be 9 cups of batter; our 3 cups batter into each pan.
- 4. Bake for 26 to 28 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 5. Turn the layers out onto wire racks by placing a rack on top of a pan, inverting it, and lifting off the pan. Peel off the paper liners and let cool completely. When the layers have cooled, place a cardboard cake board on top of a layer, invert again, and lift off the rack. To make the layers easier to handle, wrap them on their boards completely in plastic, so they don’t dry out, and refrigerate them.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!