The Best Bread Machine Challah
photo by Lee Hock
- Ready In:
- Place the ingredients into the bread machine in the above listed order. Make a small well in the flour for the yeast. Put bread machine on dough cycle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove dough from the machine onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into two equal halves. Divide each halve into three pieces, and braid. Place braid onto a cookie sheet covered with a piece of parchment paper. Cover the two braid with a dish towel. Let stand until double in size, about 30 minutes to an hour. Remove dish towel. Use a pastry brush and paint the challahs with beaten egg covering the entire loaf.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped on.
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on baking rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Eating good food is very important to me. I think for me cooking comes naturally, as with all the women in my family. I started with baking when I was a teenager. It was an outlet for me to escape the angst I was having, it was therapeutic. I have always been very creative with writing, art, fashion, etc., this was the first time I was realizing that baking, specifically cake decorating could be creative too. When I started college at an interior design school, I was baking so much, that everyone was pushing me to go to culinary school instead. So I left after one semester to pursue my passion. I went to culinary school in a pastry chef program. After taking a required basic food prep course, I realized that I also love to cook. Although I am not working as a chef right now, I am still a chef through and through. I love to plan menus, peruse cookbooks, and most of all slave in the kitchen. I have been blessed with the best supportive husband. And, I am a stay at home mom of 2 amazing boys, 10 months, and 2 1/2 yrs. With all that said my passion is to entertain family and friends. I will cook these huge meals, with several courses. Before I had children I would spend days in the kitchen preparing these fabulous meals. Now I don't have the time, so I try cook simple and delicious food. I always try to buy organic produce and use the best quality ingredients. I love everything about food and cooking (except the cleaning up part), even walking aimlessly around grocery stores is entertaining for me. I also enjoy eating at restaurants. From dump to upscale, I am always drawing inspirations for my cooking when I dine out.