Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie (Uses Fresh Pumpkin)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry (9-10-inch)
- 2 cups freshly cooked pumpkin, seeded, peeled, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- (To make your own freshly cooked pumpkin, quarter 1-2 small pie pumpkins, de-stem, seed and de-string them. Then steam them in a steamer over boiling water until very tender--the skin will peel right off. Then mash them using a stick blender or a food processor-hand mashing will somtimes produce lumps/strings so unless you like that, go for the stick blender/processor).
- Preheat oven to 400°F and have ready a pie shield and a large rimmed cookie sheet.
- Line a DEEP DISH glass pie plate with the pie pastry round, fluting the edges decoratively as desired.
- Combine in order the pumpkin, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Lightly beat eggs together with both milks, then add to the pumpkin mixture, stirring well to combine--it will be rather thin.
- Pour as much filling as you can into unbaked pie pastry and bake at 400°F for 50 minutes (or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out without any goo on it). If there is any extra filling use to fill a smaller mini pie plate or discard.
- NOTE: Set cookie sheet on the rack below the rack you are setting your pie plate on in order to catch any drips.
- If the pie edges start overbrowning, place a pie shield or a ring of foil over the edges--this will be needed or not depending on the type of pastry you use.
- Pie should be served chilled and should be stored in the refrigerator.
Join The Conversation