Texas Chuck Wagon Chili Dogs
- Ready In:
7 cups chili
- 1⁄2 lb dried pinto bean
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup quality chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- hot dog, grilled
- hot dog bun, toasted
- grated cheddar cheese
- chopped onion
- To make the chili: wash and pick over beans; put in a bowl and soak in water to cover overnight.
- Next day, drain and rinse the beans and put them in a pot with 1 ½ cans of the beef broth; bring to a boil; decrease heat and simmer the beans for 1 hour.
- In a medium pot, brown the ground beef; drain off all the fat.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet; saute the onion over low heat until it is soft and transparent.
- Add in the garlic; saute for 1 minute.
- Add the onion mixture and tomato paste, chili powder, salt, water, crushed tomatoes w/ puree, ground marjoram, red pepper flakes, and cayenne to the beef mixture; mix well.
- Simmer the chili over low heat, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 3 hours or until the beans are tender and the flavors are melded.
- If the mixture becomes too thick, add a bit more water or beef broth.
- Assemble: place hot dogs in buns, top with chili, cheese, and onion.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!