Tartar Sauce Seasoning Mix
photo by The Spice Guru
- Ready In:
5 2/3 tablespoons seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- NOTES: WHEN MAKING TARTAR SAUCE I ADD A 50/50 BLEND OF BOTH DILL PICKLE RELISH OR CHOPPED DILL PICKLE, AND SWEET PICKLE RELISH OR CHOPPED SWEET PICKLE, PLUS A SMALL AMOUNT OF FRESH MINCED ONION. FOR A REDUCED FAT AND CALORIE TARTAR SAUCE, YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE MAYONNAISE WITH PLAIN LOWFAT OR NONFAT YOGURT (SEE PHOTO). LET YOUR OWN TASTEBUDS DECIDE UPON ANY OR NONE OF THE OPTIONAL CREATIVE ADDITIONS IN STEP #8.
- MEASURE all ingredients into a small resealable container.
- SEAL the container.
- SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- STORE seasoning in an airtight container away from light, heat and moisture.
- USE 1 teaspoon Tartar Sauce Seasoning Mix with each 1/2 cup mayonnaise (adjust to taste).
- TARTAR SAUCE RECIPE: In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2-4 tablespoons pickle relish (or minced pickle), and 1 teaspoon Tartar Sauce Seasoning Mix (or to taste); REFRIGERATE and allow minced onion to reconstitute and flavors to meld, approximately 15-30 minutes.
- OPTIONAL CREATIVE ADDITIONS (KEEP IT SIMPLE): Buttermilk, capers, fresh chives, fresh cilantro, fresh dill, horseradish sauce, fresh lemon juice, fresh lemon zest, malt vinegar, fresh onion, fresh parsley, fresh ground pepper, fresh tarragon, Worcestershire sauce, plain yogurt.
- SERVE with battered fried fish, cooked fresh fish, crab cakes, crab salad, croquettes, deviled eggs, hush puppies, as a sandwich spread or in tuna/seafood salad instead of plain mayonnaise.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Mathematician... Metaphysician... Magician in a test kitchen