Taco Bean Rice a Roni
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup spaghetti, broken 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth, mix (Sysco ) or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons dried onion, minced
- 16 ounces hot water
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- In large frying pan add spaghetti, brown rice and margarine.
- Stir on medium heat until spaghetti and brown rice starts to turn a golden color.
- Add opened black beans with juice, minced dried onion chicken broth base or bouillion cubes, hot water, chili pepper. ground cumin, black pepper and tomato sauce.
- Stir to mix all ingredients.
- Cover and turn heat to low. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Take off when spagetti and rice is cooked and liquid absorbed.
- Serve with warmed tortillas.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a very yummy recipe with a nice spicy taste. The spices listed are a good starting point, however I found the cumin to be a little overpowering, so that I will try half the amount of that and maybe add some other spices such as garlic, chili powder or cinnamon as well next time Im making this.<br/>Ive never had rice-a-roni before, so didnt quite know what to expect, but I (and everyone else) loved the toasty flavour of the spaghetti and rice (I used ww spaghetti).<br/>I think adding the spaghetti some time after the rice would have been a bit more to our taste, though as they became a little soggy with the long cooking time.<br/>All in all a very good recipe that I am looking forward to to making again.<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it here with us!<br/>Made and reviewed for Dining on A Dollar Contest November 2010.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My husband & I built our dream home after our children were raised.We didn't hire a contractor, we pounded every nail and board and shingle on it.I have lots of stories to tell about that adventure. My passion is cooking, my grandchildren and living each day like it were my last. I love to drive the big rigs. I lived all over the world for a time and collected dolls and cookbooks. I write poetry. My other passions are the outdoors, country living, the sunrises and sunsets,to give to others more than I receive as it says in the Bible. As I get older I am less judgemental.I hope I have helped someone each and every day. Every day is an adventure! <br /><br />Event Participation! <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-SueL-FirstPlace.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /></p>