Swiss Barley Soup--Gerstensuppe
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 lb smoked ham hock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water, cold
- 1 cup leek, finely chopped, white and green parts
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 baking potato, medium, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Combine barley, hocks, salt, pepper, water in large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover pot partially and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the leeks, celery, onion and potato and simmer for 30 minutes or until barly and veggies are tender.
- Remove and discard ham hocks. While stirring pour in cream and simmer to heat soup thoroughly.
- Seaon to taste and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a trained chef, but my career has taken a back seat to my family and my sanity. I do work part time as a pastry chef/prep cook/expo at a small restaurant. It's really nice to work part time and do something I love.</p> <p>I have a five year old son, a newborn baby girl (as of 2013) and have been married for 8 years. <br /><br /><br /></p>