Sweet Potatoes With Caramelized Onion
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream (Carnation low fat works very well) or 1/4 cup milk (Carnation low fat works very well)
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan at medium heat and add onion. Sauté until rings separate. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking uncovered, until onions are soft and caramelized at least 30 minutes or more, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prick whole potatoes with skins on and bake in roasting pan for 40 minutes or until soft. When cool enough to handle peel skins from potatoes and set aside.
- When onions are soft add thyme, salt and pepper to taste and mix well. At this point you can either place the onions in a food processor and pulse until they are slightly chunky or chop with a sharp knife.
- Heat a medium sized pot and add butter. Add the sweet potatoes and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add the sour cream or milk a little at a time then add the onion mixture. Blend with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated and adjust S & P to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Photo of my crazed brother taken at a wedding at "The Doctor's House" in Kleinburg, Ontario. He and the statue did not get along very well..she was terribly rude! Formerly from the highlands of Scotland and residing in Toronto with wee Angus, my transwestite. http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/65803/Angus%20smiling.jpg The incessant whining I endure when performing the morning makeup ritual leads me to believe he has a thing for eyeliner. When the working part of the day is over I find myself body thrashing at the gym or writing bizarre poetry and plays. I was involved in theatre for many years but our company folded when we lost our theatre. (Where did it go?)