Sweet Potato Ice Cream
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Looking for something strange and unusual--here it is.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Scrub the potatoes and bake them at 400° for 1 hour or until soft.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and mash the potatoes.
- You should have about 1 1/4 cups of mashed sweet potatoes; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow.
- Beat in the corn syrup and salt; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the half-and-half to a simmer.
- Slowly beat the hot half-and-half into the eggs/sugar mixture.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk until the custard thickens slightly (be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble).
- Remove pan from heat and beat in the potato puree.
- Pour the hot potato custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl.
- Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in your ice cream maker by following the manufacturer's instructions.
- When finished, the ice cream will be soft; for a firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze several hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION