Sweet and Sour Cocktail "Dogs" with Pineapple
A tasty, reliable recipe you can make ahead when planning a party! Shared by my SIL, we've enjoyed this recipe for years, and it's one of the first to disappear at parties. Freezes well.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup catsup
- 1 cup grape jelly
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 (16 ounce) packages cocktail franks or (16 ounce) packages hot dogs
- If using full-sized dog/franks, cut them into one-inch pieces.
- Over low heat, simmer catsup, jelly, lemon juice, and mustard together for about 3 minutes, stirring to mix well.
- Add"dogs" (whatever meat you select) and pineapple chunks and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until"dogs" are hot.
- To serve, pour mixture into fondue pot or chafing dish to keep it hot during party serving period.
- Serve with toothpicks for spearing these tasty morsels.
- NOTE: Any dogs and sauce left in the cooking pot (not served) can be frozen to use for another party!
- VARIATION: This sauce is also delicious with meatballs.
- MAKE-AHEAD: These can be made up to 3 days before a party and refrigerated until time to reheat them.
- Or they can be frozen for up to 2 months before reheating.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION