Swedish Meatballs With Secret Ingredient
photo by Andi Longmeadow Farm
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
30-40 small meatballs
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion (well minced)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet (optional for color)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Put eggs, spices and minced onion in a bowl, mix it all together.
- Add meat, mix well so everything is nicely blended.
- Shape small meatballs and brown them on all sides.
- Cook over medium heat until liquids run clear of blood.
- Add the beef stock, kitchen bouquet, salt and pepper, and fennel seeds and simmer on low heat about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the 1/4 cup of water and the flour well for a thickner.
- Add the thickner to the meat stirring constantly.
- Cook until the the sauce thickens.
- Add the cream and just heat until the cream is blended well and hot.
- Be careful not to let it boil or it will curdle the cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this recipe awhile ago and forgot to give you a much deserved review. The meatballs are the best. I love fennel and never thought of using it for swedish meatballs. I like my sauce a little thicker so I added one extra tablespoon of flour. Other then that no other changes were made. Thank You.