Suppli Al Telefono (Fried Rice & Cheese Balls)
Foods of the World: The Cooking of Italy - Time life. Any other "soft cheese" will work well instead or mixed in with the mozzarella - consider if you wouldn't melt it to make a dip - don't put it in these. *note* suggested Risotto Recipes - Recipe #99860 or Recipe #32295.
- Ready In:
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups risotto rice
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- oil (for frying)
- Beat eggs in medium sized bowl.
- aAdd risotto (be gentle don't mash up the rice).
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of rice into your cupped hand OR keep in it that spoon and grab another tablespoon to get the other side.
- Place one cube of cheese in the middle of the risotto.
- Place another tablespoon of risotto on top of cheese and pat into a ball (OR put two spoons together and seal edges).
- Roll ball in bread crumbs and place on a sheet of wax paper.
- Repeat until mixture and cheese is gone.
- Refrigerate for up to half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Fry no more then 5 at a time for about 5 minutes or until they are a light brown and crispy on the outside and the cheese is melted.
- Take a casserole dish, line with paper towels - place balls on towels to drain and keep warm in oven for up to 10 minutes if needed.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very nice recipe! They went over well at our picnic. Next time I'm only going to add 1 egg...a little too eggy for me. But other than that, these were delicious! I found the little mozzarella balls, that were marinated, and used those. I ended up getting about 12 Suppli's, that were a very nice size ball.Reply