Super Easy Gluten Roast
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 (1 1/8 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (or liquid smoke)
- 1 1⁄4 cups cool water
- 4 cups vegetarian beef broth or 4 cups water plus 4 bouillon cubes
- Place roast ingredients in a bread machine on dough setting or in stand mixer with dough hooks.
- Mix on high for 15 minutes. You may need to scrape down occasionally in mixer.
- Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare broth. DO NOT make it hot! If using bouillon cubes, crush them and just add to your water, it will mix as it cooks.
- Form roast into oval.
- Place in slow cooker, add broth.
- Set on low, for 8 hours.
- Turn halfway through.
- When done, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately or place in sealed container or ziploc baggy with some leftover broth.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was pretty good. I did not have the Lipton onion soup mix, but the other reviewers made me think that was ok, and it was. I used a vegetarian fake chicken bouillon and added some soy sauce and liquid smoke to give it a more beefy flavor. I would not serve this as a roast, as it still had that odd flavor that non-commercially bought seitan seems to have. I used the stand mixer with the dough hook, which was really inconvenient. The dough is so thick the mixer just kept pushing it to the sides of the bowl. I will knead by hand next time. I chopped into small pieces and added to a mushroom stroganoff. I will definitely make this again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have found a true talent in cooking. This developed after getting married 6 years ago. I get so excited whenever I get a new kitchen tool, it's ridiculous! I try all my recipes on my hubby and 2 fabulous kids. They have very well-rounded taste buds for a 3 and 5 year old! I'm big into Italian cooking right now. I also love to make Indian recipes.