Summer Veggie Shepherd’s Pie With Gouda
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef (lean 93/7)
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced into quarter inch slices
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 vidalia onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 slices gouda cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package instant roasted garlic mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups water
- olive oil
- crushed red pepper flakes
- sriracha sauce (or other hot sauce)
- low calorie butter substitute (or you can use the real thing)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until translucent. Add ground beef, and season (S&P, crushed red pepper and hot sauce) and cook until browned. Drain off liquid. Set aside.
- Cook instant mashed potatoes according to directions.
- Meanwhile, put cooked beef into baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. (I use a large oval corningware).
- Place one layer of squash. Season with S&P.
- Layer the gouda cheese.
- Place another layer of squash. Season with S&P and put a few pats of butter substitute on top.
- Top with green beans, season with S&P and a few more pads of butter substitute.
- Mix part of the beaten egg (reserving a tablespoon) into the prepared instant mashed potatoes. Spread mixture on top of casserole. Brush the remaining egg on the top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until browned. (I have had to turn the heat up to brown the top).
- Serve and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!