Summer Borscht (Lower Fat)
- Ready In:
- 3 large beets
- 3 cups water (plus additional to cover beets when boiling)
- kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 16 ounces reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large seedless cucumber
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, plus extra for serving, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the beets in a pressure cooker and cover with water.
- Cook until the beets are tender, about 18 minutes.
- Remove the beets and cool. Once cooled, peel the beets and dice .
- Cool and retain the cooking liquid. Strain the cooking liquid.
- Melt butter in a saute pan with the olive oil. Add the carrots and one onion, and saute until onion is soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups of the beet cooking liquid, the beef stock, sour cream, yogurt, sugar, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, and the pepper.
- Add the diced beets, cucumber, scallions, onion, carrots, and dill to the soup.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Season to taste, and serve cold, possibly with a dollop of sour cream and an extra sprig of dill.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!