Stuffed Cabbage like my mother made
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice (firm)
- 1 -2 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- fresh pepper, a few turns of the mill
- 1⁄2 cup water, enough to hold together the above mixture about or 1/2 cup milk, which ever you prefer
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 -6 peppercorns
- 1 pinch basil (I like to use fresh minced)
- Boil about 2 c.
- water in a lg.
- Wash your cabbage.
- Then place the full head into the boiling water for a few min.
- (Pour water into a measuring cup and save.) You will see the outer leaves softening.
- Turn upside down on a cutting board and remove a good portion of the stem.
- Gentley and carefully peel off full leaves until you no longer can pull any off.
- Wrap each ball separately with a leaf.
- Shred the remaining cabbage and put it back into the lg.
- To make the rolls to meats add egg, rice, garlic, salt, paprika,(1/2 tsp.chili powder opt.) and pepper. Make rolls and roll a leaf around each. Lay your cabbage rolls on top of the shredded cabbage.
- Pour the canned puree over the the top and add the spices( bay leaves, peppercorn, and basil.
- Pour as much water in as needed to produce enough liquid to cook on stove with.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.
- Meat should be soft.
- If you have too much liquid.
- Remove the rolls.
- In a small saucepan melt 2 tblsp margarine and 2 tblsp.
- flour and make a roux.
- When a golden yellow, shut off your heat and add 1 tsp.
- hungarian sweet paprika.
- This gives the sauce a nice flavor and thickens the sauce as well.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an avid cook and recipe collector. I've been cooking since I was 9 yrs. old. I am the first American from my family so I cook many different European dishes, everything from west to east. If I had a month just to do what I would like to do...I would like to cook that month with a famous chef. I also write a bulletin for a Service to Mankind organization. Since I collect recipes anywhere I can see them, I've been asked to share them with my readers. So this site is wonderful not just for me!