Strawberry Blonde Cake
A gooey, rich cake for special occasions. The pecans and currants need to be prepared a day ahead and are not counted in the preparation time. Don't worry about the alcohol as it evaporates during the baking process, leaving only delicious flavor. Baking time is approximate.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried currant
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 1/2 cup whiskey or 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 1 cup butter (if using margarine, not spread or tub product) or 1 cup margarine, softened (if using margarine, not spread or tub product)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves (use a good quality)
- 1⁄4 cup candied citron peel, finely diced
- The day before making the cake, stir pecans, currants, nutmeg and liquor together; cover and let stand overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease and flour a 12 x 8 baking pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Fold flour mixture and remaining ingredients into batter until well blended.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake pulls slightly away from edges of the pan.
- Cool in pan.
- Brush with additional liquor, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container.