Stove Top Cheddar Mac
photo by MsSally
- Ready In:
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half, warmed
- 1 (8 ounce) bag extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente; drain in a colander.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the warmed half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is steaming hot and thick, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar until melted.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni and season to taste with salt.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had some trouble getting it thick and creamy, but oh my goodness, it was incredible. My boyfriend didnt feel the same way about it, but we have totally separate tastes in mac and cheese. If you're a super smooth, creamy kind of mac and cheese lover, put velveeta in this. If you like it runny and with a sharp edge to it, then just make it the way the recipe says.
This got the automatic 5 star. DD loved this and asked for more. She usually will only eat the dreaded box stuff. She won't touch my homemade baked mac and cheese. But she loved this so thank you for the great recipe to replace the boxed stuff. I used fat-free 1/2 and 1/2 and used half 2% cheddar and 1/2 2% velveta. YUMMO!
Quick and simple mac & cheese. It's a nice basic recipe that is great for kids and/or picky eaters. I used fat free half and half and it worked very well. I think that using sharp cheddar is a must in this recipe. Many adults may like a little more spice in this, and that can easily be added. Thanx for posting. I'll use this on my kids often.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!