Star Fruit Pickles (Carambola)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
4 Half Pints
- Place carambola slices in glass jar or bowl.
- Make a syrup of sugar, vinegar, and spices. Bring to a boil and pour over carambola slices.
- Let stand overnight in the refrigerator.
- Next day, drain off syrup and bring to a boil.
- Place carambola slices in hot, sterilized jars and pour boiling syrup over, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe jar mouths and adjust lids. Process in boiling water-bath canner 10 minutes.
Flavor is great, but a couple of points on the prep: After filling the jars and then adding in the hot syrup, unbeknownst until after removing the jars from the water bath, the quantity of the fruit had shrank to where the jars were only half filled. It would be better to state in the directions to really pack the fruit before adding the syrup. The shrinkage amounted to 6 cups of fruit yielding approximately 3, half-pint jars of fruit - the rest was the syrup. Secondly: no mention was made on what to do with the cinnamon stick or cloves after you boil the syrup. I left them in and just poured them in with the syrup - will remove upon consumption. The crunchiness of the green starfruit, along with the sweetness of the pickles is great. Definitely will use this recipe again next year when our tree is fruiting again.