Spicy Tamil Chicken
To make this a one-dish meal, add some vegetables of your choice. You could also add pineapple. If you don't like cilantro, leave it out, or if a whole bunch is too much for you, adjust amount to your taste. Ghee could be used in place of peanut oil.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled & grated
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup chicken bouillon
- 3 green chilies, seeded & chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Ina a dry skillet, cook red pepper flakes through turmeric, stirring, approximately 1 minute until aromatic.
- Add 2 Tbs oil to skillet, add onions and stir-fry about 4 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbs more oil, then add garlic through chicken plus half of chopped chilies.
- Stir-fry 8-10 minutes until chicken is golden.
- Add stock and 1½ c coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat& simmer 30-40 min until chicken is tender.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Add salt and rest of chopped green chili.
- Combine cornstarch with remaining coconut milk; stir into sauce.
- Increase heat and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens.
- Top with cilantro.
- Serve with rice.