Spicy Stuffed Chicken Breasts
photo by cathianne
- Ready In:
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained and rinsed
- 8 pieces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1 fresh cayenne pepper
- 4 cups Baby Spinach, uncooked, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
- Put the mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, chili pepper, lime juice and 1 cup of the spinach in a food processor. Process until is it almost a paste.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts. Cut a pocket in each. Put one quarter of the paste in each breast. Hold closed with toothpicks, broken in half. If you are not cooking them immediately, place the stuffed chicken breasts in a container and store in the refrigerator.
- Place flour on a plate. Before flouring each chicken breast sprinkle a 1/4 of the chili powder and 1/4 of the lemon pepper on the top of the flour. Gently coat each side of the chicken breasts with the flour and spices.
- Heat 2 T of the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook chicken breasts at medium heat on the first side for about 8 minutes. Remove toothpicks before turning.
- Just before turning chicken, place 1 T each of olive oil, orange juice and lime juice in a pan. Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Also just before turning chicken, place the water and 2 t of olive oil in a small pot. Bring to a boil, add couscous and cover. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cook chicken on the second side for 8 to 10 minutes.
- All three parts should be finished at about the same time. Place 1/4 of the spinach, 1/4 of the couscous, and 1 chicken breast on each plate and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!