Spicy Shredded Mexi Beef Roast (Crock Pot)
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 10mins
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) boneless beef chuck roast (can use a 3-pound roast)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup spicy salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno chiles, drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cups beef broth
- black pepper
- Place beef roast in a 5-quart crock pot.
- Add in diced tomatoes with juice, spicy salsa (or chipotle sauce if using) jalapeno chilies, onion, garlic, chili powder, honey, salt and cumin.
- Pour in the beef broth; mix with a wooden spoon to combine and season with black pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW until beef is tender when pierced with a fork (about 8-10 hours, cooking time will vary slightly depending on the size of your roast).
- If desired remove the lid and turn to HIGH for the last 30 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce and thicken.
- Season sauce with more salt if desired.
- Transfer the roast to a cutting board or large platter.
- Shred the meat using two heavy forks.
- Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker; cover and allow to warm.
- Serve in crusty buns.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is the best Mexican beef recipe I have found yet! Love the addition of the honey to add some interesting flavor. I added juice from jarred jalapeno chilies, cayenne pepper, a can of diced tomatoes with chilies as well as a regular can of the diced tomatoes, and some cilantro to the dish while it cooked in the crock pot. Served it in burritos with rice and beans! Husband loved it!! Thinking of using some of the leftovers in enchiladas.