Spicy Sausage Soup with Hominy
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy, drained
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups beef bouillon
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Brown sausage in a large Dutch oven or soup pot and drain fat.
- Add diced onion and cook until tender.
- Add everything else but the parsley and stir until blended.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about an hour.
- Stir in the parsley and season to taste (taste it first, you may not need any additional seasoning).
- Serve with sourdough breadsticks warm from the oven.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A very nice foundation for soup made with stuff one is likely to have in one's pantry/freezer. Thought it needed a couple of additions to perk up the flavor, though; I tossed in a large pinch of cumin and the juice of one lime as well as a little salsa (verde was what I had on hand) and a pinch of cayenne. Served with some rolls for dunking, it made for a nice one-pot supper on a chilly early Spring evening.