Spicy Chicken Thick Gravy
photo by dineshsharan6
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 chicken, skinned and cut
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 medium potato, skinned and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cream (to garnish)
- Wash the chicken well and with a knife slash the chicken flesh a little to enable to juices to penetrate.
- In a bowl mix, chicken, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, lime juice, yoghurt and set aside. You can choose to set aside this mixture for about 1 hour to enable better flavoring.
- In a deep vessel / casserole vessel heat the oil and mustard seeds on medium flame.
- Add onions and sauté till golden brown.
- Add the turmeric powder and stir a little.
- Next add the cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes and sauté till the tomato smell disappears and then mash the tomatoes with your stirring spoon.
- Now add the cubed potatoes and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken mixture to this mixture and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander leaves and stir again for about 2 minutes.
- Add the water and stir again.
- Close the lid and let it simmer till the chicken is done.
- When chicken is done check the salt content and add a bit more salt as per taste.
- You can also add additional chili powder if you would like it spicy.
- When serving you can garnish this with a tsp of cream drizzled on top.