Spiced Root Vegetable Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 ounces dried green lentils
- 5 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk (or use extra stock)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and fry for 5 mins until softened. Tip in the remaining veg and cook for another 5 mins, adding the chilli and cumin for final 2 minutes
- Add the lentils and stock to the pan. Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25 mins until veg are tender and lentils are soft. Blitz until smooth with the milk and a little extra water or stock, if necessary. Season, then reheat until piping hot.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)