Spiced Gundruk (Spicy Fermented Vegetables)
photo by Tulsi Regmi
- Ready In:
- 1 lb daikon radish, cut into thin 2-in long slices
- 1 lb napa cabbage, cut into 2-in squares
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, cut into thin 2-in long slices
- 2 cups green onions, cut into 2-in lengths
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
- 2 tablespoons mild paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons coarse salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine nappa cabbage, daikon radish and carrot slices.
- Add three tablespoons of salt; mix thoroughly.
- Cover and let rest in a warm place for at least six hours.
- Drain and rinse vegetables in a colander.
- Return rinsed vegetables to the mixing bowl, and add chopped green onions, garlic, ginger, hot chili powder, paprika, asafetida, sugar, salt as required and water.
- Toss well to combine vegetables with the spices.
- Put the mixture into a large sterilized jar, gradually pressing down each layer as it is spooned in.
- Cap the jar tightly and store in warm place for at least three days for fermentation.
- Once the fermentation process is complete to your liking, refrigerate.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!